Scientific Advisory Board
Mandate – Scientific Advisory Board of the Institute of Marine Research (IMR)
Adopted by the Ministry of Trade and Fisheries on 20/02/2016
The Scientific Advisory Board of the IMR shall act as an independent advisory body on scientific matters. The role of the Board is to advise the IMR on its scientific development, in view of its goals, duties and operational framework at any given time.
2. Composition and appointment
The Scientific Advisory Board shall be made up of internationally recognised scientists within the IMR’s disciplines, and of people with experience of supervising and evaluating administrative agencies or research institutes.
The Board shall have 7–10 members appointed by the Ministry of Trade and Fisheries. The IMR shall propose members.
The Board members, including the chair and any deputy chair, shall be appointed by the Ministry of Trade and Fisheries for a three-year term. Members may be reappointed once.
- Advising on strategic scientific development in order to help achieve the IMR’s goals.
- Advising on the organisation and quality of research, from a public governance perspective.
- Advising on the organisation of advisory activities, and on ways to improve them.
- Giving advice and recommendations on scientific assessments of the IMR’s programmes, including methodologies for data collection and fish stock estimates.
- Advising on cooperation with other national and international institutions, with the aim of achieving goals by exploiting joint expertise and infrastructure.
- Writing an annual report on its activities.
- The Scientific Advisory Board shall meet at least twice a year, and more often if so desired by the chair and/or a majority of the Board members and/or the IMR.
4. Reporting and involvement
The Board’s annual report, which is a public document, shall be sent to the IMR, and copied to the Ministry, by the end of January.
The IMR shall facilitate the meetings of the Scientific Advisory Board and act as the secretariat of the Board. This includes helping it to administer scientific assessments and ensuring that the Board is adequately involved in relevant activities of the IMR. The Managing Director of the IMR shall attend Board meetings.